Yamaha MD4 Error 04 NEED HELP!

cjl71178

Hello,

This is my first time on homerecording.com and I have a problem. Yesterday, I pulled out my Yamaha MD4 for the first time in a while because I wanted to check out some old songs I had started working on. When I inserted one of the minidiscs, it made a funny noise and the screen read "ERROR 04". Now the disc will not eject. I've hardly used this unit, so I double checked my MD4 manual and it said to contact Yamaha. I called them, described the problem to technical service and the guy pretty much just told me that I had to send it to them for repair.

I came across this forum today and after surfing around I found someone that posted the Yamaha MD error codes. ERROR 04 means that "The magnetic head didn't raise off of the disc". What does this mean?

Can anyone help me out??? Is there a simple solution to this, or do I need to send it back to Yamaha? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Yo CJ:

I used to use the MD8, just 4 more tracks; same type of operation.

I had it shut off for a while as I hooked up a new recorder.

I thought, one day, I'd turn it on and mess around with some tracks and the darn thing locked up on me.

I messed with it, turning it off and on a few times, pushing buttons and FINALLY, it opened up. I did not use force or a screwdriver--but, I was gently trying to help the box open up. It did.

Now, it's in my storage area as I'm working with the Yam 2816. If you fool with it, it might open up. Otherwise, you'll have to take it or send it to Yamaha or an authorized tech/vendor.

Green Hornet :D

I posted the error codes.

My best guess would be that the minidisc misloaded and got jammed,... probably with the little shutter door unopened,... and therefore is flagging to the mechanism any number of "head" related errors.

It's a tough call, but if you can somehow remove the disc,... you might find it reloads again with no problem. Minidisc load mechanisms can be funny that way.

Is it the one with the "door" loading mechanism, or the "slot"???

Thanks guys for the reply.

I only tried turning it on and off twice, but still got that error. I got the unit sometime back in 1999.

I don't know how to explain the mechanism, it has a door that pops up. The minidisc does slide into like a slot and actually, the door cover can slide off, but I didn't want to do anything else or make my problem worse.

I'll try what you suggested Green Hornet, and Reel...I hope my explanation of the mechanism can give you more insight.

I just got an RMA from Yamaha, but I figured I'd try getting some input from you guys before I decide to send it out. It just bums me out, because I hardly use the unit and when I finally decide to pull it out...this is what happens! My Luck...LOL!

Thanks again.

Yeah,...

sometimes it's best to have factory service work it out. I know it's costly and aggrivating, especially on a low-use recorder. The minidisc mech is a very small and highly mechanical item. I've freed up discs out of Sony front-loaders that have jammed,... but I also broke one doing the same thing.

So,... the loading mechanism is the popup door,... and Yamaha service should hopefully take care of the problem with minimum expense. I'd stick with that.

Good luck!!

Thanks Reel!

I'm actually sending out the unit to Yamaha today (they sent me an RMA/return authorization number).

I finally got the unit door to open, took the disc out, reclosed it and it's still has the "Error 04". So instead of messing around with it anymore, I'll just let them take care of it.

Thanks again for all your help and input. I know when I get it back, I'm
going to start using more! LOL. Thanks again.

Just heard back from Yamaha...it's going to cost me $163 bucks to repair my MD4. They told me that the whole drive mechanism needs to be replaced and Yamaha wasn't charging me for it. Wow, that's a hefty labor bill...but I need to get it fixed...I'll be sure to use it more now!

I think that's reasonable,...

considering what a used MD4 or MD8 would cost on Ebay, and you'd possibly get a new set of problems with another used machine.

I take what you say as good news.

Thanx!!

Interesting: I had an MD8 for a while and the drive crapped out: the tech who repaired it said there was a known problem with some of the early drives. Hence the free part from Yamaha?
(still it is honourable of them to supply it).

Orc

disk lock error? problem solved

i already posted this solution on another thread but i would hate to deprive you all of it, as it is relevant to some of your problems. Anyhow i aquired one of these units a while ago and the disk lock problem was inherent, seems it happens in storage and movement of the unit, any how switch the unit off, flip it over and remove all the base unit screws (not the four under the disk drive) now lift the base unit free. Right now go to where the laser and drive are situated and remove the plastic film thats held by pegs, Done? cool now you should see a small white cog....yeah...nice one just start to slowly crank it away from you (a few revoulutions should do it) right now put your hand round, press the eject button and out it pops...if it only comes out half way close the door and apply more revolutions...simple!

Need help..can someone transfer some MD4's????

Hey Folks.
I'm back, hehe. I'm moving onwards and away. My Firepod is working nicely now. Nice unit!!! My MD4 is still at the shop and I don't expect it back anytime in the near future.

I need some help here. I have a few MD's that have stuff on them that I need to begin work on (and one I totally forgot about till now) and need someone to rip them to CD for me. Can anyone help???? If anyone is able to give a hand, please let me know and we can hash out some details and whatnot. Please contact me off board, as not to clog the board arteries heheh. My email is kelhard@hotmail.com and I answer my email daily.

Thank you in advance to all who may be able to lend a hand here.
Peace and many blessings and good wishes to all.

Keltie.

Are they simple stereo MD's, or MD4 source discs, (MDD 140's)?

............... :confused:

PS: What city u in?......... ;)

Back