Yamaha MD8 - HELP!

foolish hit

Hi,
I have just bought an MD8 and a great piece of machinery it is, an anologue mixer with a built- in digital recorder,fantastic!

I have recorded electric guitar to track 1 and vocals to track 2 both with compression using the two I/O inserts but I want to record bass guitar on track 4 with compession.how do I do this ?

Regards
M

Hi

The I/O insert is more used to apply effect at play back. If you want to record the compression, you can put the compressor in your signal chain. If you want to record using the I/O, you can copy one of the tracks (1 or 2) into channel 4 and then record your bass on the free track.

/Jack Real.

Applying compression ?

Hi Jack reel,
Thanks for your reply.
I am a complete novice when it comes to recording with the MD8.Call me a dumbass but how do i add compression to the signal chain,I know nothing about buses and so forth,can you help me please ?

Regards M.

Umm,... no,... I'm sorry.

You may apply compression or any other effect during tracking or mixdown, by using the Channels 1 & 2, (the ones with the insert jacks). You then route the signal from Input/Channels 1 & 2 to any track, (1-8), by using a combination of "GROUP-ASSIGN", Rec-Function (1-8/L-R), and PAN. This method is also known as "Buss-Mode" recording,... with "groups" equating to "busses", (depending on which manufacturer's jargon you want to use).

You may route ANY channel on the mixer to ANY channel by use of the "GROUP-ASSIGN" or "Buss-Mode" assign matrix, so you may want to become familiar with it. Buss-Mode channel-to-track assignment is a fundamental capability in all midline and high-end Portastudios and porta-clones, such as the MD8.

This information is also detailed in the MD8 manual. :eek: ;)

Last edited:
I'll give you a specific example.

You may plug your guitar into Channel/Input 1, and a mic into Channel/Input 2. Put your compressor or other effect on the Insert jacks of Channels 1 & 2, if you wish.

Select Group-1~2.
Enable REC-FUNCT to Track (1/L) and Track (2/R)
PAN the guitar Left, and the mic Right.
You have now assigned the guitar to Track 1 and mic to Track 2.

Now,...

Select Group-3~4.
Enable REC-FUNCT to Track (3/L) and Track (4/R)
PAN the guitar Left, and the mic Right.
You have now assigned the guitar to Track 3 and mic to Track 4.

(Repeat to the higher numbered tracks).

Note: When using "Buss-Mode" assignment, panning Left routes signals to the ODD tracks, and panning Right routes signals to the EVEN tracks. The REC-FUNCT (1-8/L-R) enable dictates which tracks receive the signal from the Input/Channels.

/DA

Last edited:
Back