Yamaha MD8-no optical out, recording, etc

vampirefish

Hello all.... I'm hoping to get some experienced users out here to help me out. I really like my MD8 but my only beef has been lack of a digital out. The only way I've been able to transfer tracks to my PC is 2 at a time (one L and one R - mono). I've been looking at a
SMPro-Audio-A08-ADAT-Lightpipe-Converter. It looks possible, but need an ADAT in sound card and maybe it's overkill.

I do have an MAudio Delta 410 soundcard (with 4 ins - have yet to use/install it)... I'm trying to find the best/easiest way to transfer 8 tracks. I'm guessing this would be at least an 8 in sound card.... Maybe I'm making this more difficult on myself... trying to master all on my computer (meaning each track), rather than just recording the mix in stereo...

With this in mind..... I'm in a quandry as how to tackle recording live gigs and practice (for reference but want decent recordings) altogether.

I've been thinking of picking up an MD4S so it's not so bulky. AND...I also have a laptop... but am not sure I want to lug it around at gigs..... I'm just not sure what to do... anyone out there starting to rethink the minidisc format? The MD8 is a huge piece of equipment but I am really impressed with the sound (and ease of use) .... so that's why I was thinking maybe I'd go with the MD4S for portable recordings. If not, I guess I can buy a case for the MD8. As for the laptop dealio... if I went that route, I figured I could pick up a Tapco Link.FireWire 4x6 Audio Interface. Of course then I'd have to buy a firewire PCMI card for my laptop (and would only have 4 ins).

I'm just hoping I can use my existing equipment with a few additions... which would be easeier, etc? Guessing I may be opening a can of worms here.

Any suggestions would be mucho appreciated.

I thought about this:>

Fostex VC-8, 8x RCA In/Out - ADAT I/O converter.:eek:;)
It's a little outdated & kind of hard to find, but would be very handy.

Attachments

• 1-Fostex VC-8.jpg
    1-Fostex VC-8.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 40
Alesis I/Os

I have 2 of the MD8s and let me say that as far as recording goes, they are pretty nice for an all in one unit. I was having the same issue with bouncing tracks the PC and have tried several options.

The first being a Terratec 8 in/8 out card and interface. Pretty nice unit and handled all the inputs at once and had MIDI I/O on the interface as well. Unfortunately, it won't work on a laptop.

The next thing I tried is an Alesis MultiMix. There are 8, 12, and 16 track versions available for both USB and Firewire. Mine is the 16 track Firewire and works great for both bouncing from my MD8s and recording directly to my PC/laptop. You can even use the MIDI sync out on the MD8 to trigger the recording software and have 24 tracks at a time; 8 on the MD8 and 16 on the Multimix.

There are several other nice features, too. The Multimix has built in effects and monitoring capabilities (need an amp of course) and can easily be used as your main PA board for practice and live performances. The only downside, on the 16 track version anyway, is there are only 8 XLR inputs, so to use 16 mics you would have to use another preamp.

Back