Twin87 by United....and my HR "2 cents"

CoolCat

clip>On listening a bit more forensically once I had some downtime, the UST in its Vintage setting sounded very close indeed to my own 1971 U87, which explains why I immediately felt confident using it on vocals- SOS 2022

clip>So, I’m assuming everyone’s question is: Does the UT Twin87 sound like a vintage or modern Neumann U 87/U 87 Ai? Well, yes... and no. I say that because I’ve A/B’d three original Neumann U 87s in the past, and each of them sounded quite different. But, yes, the UT Twin87 sounds very similar to one of the most iconic microphones in the world – for me, especially in the Modern mode setting.- TapeOp

clip>
The modern setting vs. the U 87 AI model has a noticeable difference in the top-end, with the AI sounding a touch richer with a bit more body. Keep in mind that this is a brand new UT Twin87 recorded next to a well-loved U 87 AI (with hours of daily use for 10+ years, so it’s well broken in by this point). The difference is subtle on piano and guitar, but on voice the difference presents itself more clearly. The character is certainly in the neighborhood but not so close that I was able to trick any fellow engineers in a blind listening test at the studio.

I found the vintage setting next to the vintage U 87 to be a much closer comparison. Both microphones offer a smooth and balanced response on just about every source you throw their way. Much like its vintage counterpart, the vintage setting yields a robust body with a natural-sounding top-end that doesn’t sound over-emphasized. - RECORDING 2022
*********************************************************************************************************************************

Why choose The United Twin87? Im curious to why people spend $3700 for a U87ai or $5000 + on old U87......what does the old U87i sound like?...seems this Twin87 gets there per the reviews. The United Twin87 doesn't cost $2500 used and $400 shock mount isn't included..lol
I got a used one for $399+ and it includes a shockmount (said to be a twin to Neumanns..)...So a mic and shock for the cost of a Neumann shockmount.

The United Twin87 approach...imo, is also in the same respectable club as Great River (took some 1073 and made their own design with dual transformers) and Empirical Labs (took some 1176 and made their own Distressor,) and to me the United microphones are in this group of respectable inventions a 87ish thing but a totally unique design. (one common denominator is hi-end parts ). So that got my interest to try this.

Also I don't like cable hassles so a phantom powered mic, with the ease of swapping is nice compared to tubes and powersupplys etc....no wonder the industry studio "factory's" loved dropping the tube mics and powersupplys problems back in history. Keeping a few tubes around for vocals etc...sure, but U87 was a nice non tube workhorse design studios love and now many copy and simulate or follow.

Getting to the HR gear review-
First impression was physical. Its very heavy in a good way and then I opened it up and took pictures and set the switches to RF filter OFF. Beautiful and clean and familiar quality brands inside looked more like the Neumann internals.

The vocal test, test , test 1,2,3....sssss.....shhhhsshhhh....lalala happened.
1. The Rode Nt2 with U87 head basket, no transformer
2. KSM44 USA no transformer
3. MXL67vg w/ transformer

<The Twin87 Vintage is closer to 8mv/pa like the vintage Neumann U87i. for sensitivity>
The RODE NT2 -Jim Williams version 16mv/pa with 10pad is close to 8mv/pa..,
NT2 sounded most like the Twin87 Vintage..and I liked the Vintage mode best.
The Twin 87 in Vintage sounded smoother than my KSM44 and seemed to handle ssss's and sh's better.
I was up close to remove the room. So I guess this is what a U87i older one sounds like. interesting.

Switching the Twin 87 to Modern is simply, flip a switch!
It was Modern mode time, where the capsule voltage is up and its sensitivity like the U87AI..sensitivity triples!!!
So the new U87AI is more like the Shure KSM44 $1000 mic, both with very high sensitivity 28 or more mv/pa!!!
Its too much sensitivity in my current room so I have to engage the Pad and get much closer to remove the room.
Here there is a noticeable clarity in a different way and is like the KSM44. So the KSM44 and the Twin87 Modern were very close and clarity excellent.

Which is better? Subjective,...do you like the U87i better than the U87AI? Modern or Vintage? what's the application use for the mic up close or far away?
So this is what a U87 sounds like?

So at the flip of a switch allows a lower sensitivity U87i, in Vintage, and then flip the switch and I have a cleaner, more sensitive mic like the Modern U87ai, also like KSM44 clarity....and a PAD if preferred. I hesitate saying Modern is thinner but some body is gone from the Vintage. Its very subjective isn't it? I liked the Vintage mode for up close vocal mic, so per SOS and RECORDING, I prefer the Vinatge. But a lot of YouTube's the Reviewers like Modern mode.

Twin87 Vintage - RodeNt2/MXL67vg...and Neuman U87i per pro reviews 8mv/pa sensitivity-ish.
Twin87 Modern - KSM44, clarity and much higher sensitivity probably a great thing in far away micing jobs....more like specs of U87AI 28mv/pa. A pro once said he uses KSM44 when he runs out of U87AI's...so this listen test aligns to his comment.

ADD>another thing debated of the U87i vs AI is the RF filter (I think the RF filter is also the difference of SM7b vs SM7)
many say it has an effect. The TwinU87 clever design allows the owner to turn it on or off.
some claim in YouTube's its a big sound change. I don't know, what's "big"?
a few more days.

Last edited:
Back