Wood floor or carpet in studio?

trippstrat

Which is better? I am building a simple home recording studio. I was considering covering about 400 sq. feet with short industrial grade carpet. However, I've noticed most studios I've been in have wooden floors. Why is this? Would I want the wood floor in the live room only or the control room also? I would appreciate everyone's opinion. Thanks.

Go here -

http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/index.html

click on "absorbers", then click on "co-efficient chart" - notice how big the difference in absorption of carpet is, depending on frequency? (This value only goes from 0 to 1, BTW)

Now, notice how much more even the absorption is with either vinyl, tile, or wood on concrete?

The goal in either a tracking or control room is to end up with as even a frequency response as you can get - in order to do this, you need to pick materials for surface treatment that will give as even absorption at all frequencies as you can get. If you put lots of carpet in a room, it sucks out the highs and leaves you with a dull, boomy room. By the time you compensate for this (if you even can) you will spend more time and money than necessary on low and mid frequency absorbers - Better to first find out what the room sounds like under known conditions, and only fix what's broken.

The main difference between a good tracking room and a good control room (other than size, and possibly shape) is the reverb time, known as RT60. The control room should have a shorter reverb time than the tracking room, so that you don't let the reverb of the control room convince you that you have enough reverb in the mix when, in actuality, it's coming from the control room.

Do a search here in the studio section for words like treatment, reverb, absorption, carpet, absorber - you'll find lots of comments that pertain to what you're trying to do - For that matter, the SAE site by itself is a gold mine of useful info. Check things out and post back, I think you'll change your mind about a lot of carpet... Steve

Hey mate,

I would say that wooden flooring would look much better. You can't really replace that shiny look and that smooth surface with anything else ! Save the carpet for your dog's house ;)

Hey mate,

I would say that wooden flooring would look much better. You can't really replace that shiny look and that smooth surface with anything else ! Save the carpet for your dog's house ;)

Wow, replied to a 10 year old thread huh? Did this post come up in a Google search? I am really just curious how you got here, as there are much newer threads about the same topic, with much more detailed information.

By the way, love your comment, though it really had nothing to do with the OP's question...

Ok, just looked at your posts. You are either a bot, or just here awaiting the ability to spam your flooring business. Good-bye.

Back