Nobody using minidisc I see

Tascam MD 350

OK, the back-ordered Tascam unit arrived a week ago, as did a batch of 40 blank MDs (Sony @$1.50 each incl. shipping) and a 2-space rack gigbag ($50).

I've made several recordings of bass+effects live to 2-track. So far so good! I haven't yet transferred them to CD via optical output, but have confirmed that all else with the Tascam works great. It's very, very easy to do on-the-fly recording and editing. The sound by digital standards is very good.

Bottom line: So long as there is a way to transfer MD to Cubase, Garage Band, or one of the other recording softwares at some point for further editing/overdubs, then I believe this will turn out to be an outstanding recording medium for capturing basic ideas and samples. But I have no clue how to make such transfers digitally. . . .

MD remains "Top Performer", across media debate.

I see a lot of activity, here.
I'm happy to have several 510 units, and two units other than Sony, as well as a Yam:MD8 for rehearsals.
Plain MD discs do well for MD8 simple mono & stereo recordings,
and MD data discs are required for 1, 2, 4,8 channel mastering (F'ing great for jam sessions).

>>I only wish there were a way to interface a SATA drive into the MD8 electronics. An 80 gig SATA outboard could run out 8 channel recording, up to 150 hours.<<

Any one working on a SATA outboard HD interface, for the MD8 ? ? ?

PS: I've seen ads for the r16, and I very well may get one.

Last edited:
Back