Nobody using minidisc I see

I love my MD8 and the Minidisc format in general. Supposedly it was designed as an improved alternative to the cassette tape, and when taken as such it is a fantastic medium. I upgraded to a Roland V-Studio for more serious recording but my MD8 gets used all the time as a quick n' easy sketchpad. I also use portable MD recorders for live stuff, band practices, etc. Just a great tool to have in the box.

Sony seems to have some kick ass ideas in regards to hardware and audio/video formats, they just suck at making their ideas a reality. It seems all of their hardware has some sort of "gotcha", somewhere.

Very true. I bought a Sony car stereo head deck with a usb input a while back, it came with a Sony 2gb stick. Turned out you had use Sony software to convert your music into a proprietary format first, and then you could only use Sony memory sticks. Was such a great idea, but jumping through the Sony hoops drove me mad so I ended up selling it.

I used to have a minidisc car stereo, it was awesome. No skipping on tracks - ever, great quality, tougher than cd's, just took forever to copy songs to it because I don't have a digital out on anything :(

Agreed. Although Hi-MD, in particular the portable Minidisc's swan song: The MZ-RH1 finally got it right with removing all restrictions for uploads of digital recordings, it was too little and waaaaaaaay too late to save the medium. By that time iPods had clobbered Minidisc as portable digital audio, and solid state portable recorders which record directly to wave files on memory cards were coming out.

Minidisc easily could have had the capability all along, to record to .wav format, to be a quick and easy to use DAP, but stupid DRM restrictions cripped the device for the most part. Oh well, I still use it all the time again, as if it were a cassette recorder but better. Nobody complains that they can't upload the "wavs" off a cassette recording, lol, so if I just look at it that way, no worries.

Agreed. Although Hi-MD, in particular the portable Minidisc's swan song: The MZ-RH1 finally got it right with removing all restrictions for uploads of digital recordings, it was too little and waaaaaaaay too late to save the medium. By that time iPods had clobbered Minidisc as portable digital audio, and solid state portable recorders which record directly to wave files on memory cards were coming out.

Minidisc easily could have had the capability all along, to record to .wav format, to be a quick and easy to use DAP, but stupid DRM restrictions cripped the device for the most part. Oh well, I still use it all the time again, as if it were a cassette recorder but better. Nobody complains that they can't upload the "wavs" off a cassette recording, lol, so if I just look at it that way, no worries.

Well, I find the quality of the cassette way better than the Mini Disc.

MD is much easier to use and has the editing options but when it comes to pure sound quality, cassette, when it's best, is way better than the best MD ever.

"dolph"

I've heard a few people say that too. I've tried to snag a working vintage Walkman Pro on eBay, but they end up going for really high prices. Maybe you're on to something there, Dolph...

Got one

I've got an MD8, but hardly every used it. Just now setting everything up to synchronise it with a PC based system (DS2416). I want to record a band live, so with this setup I should have 16 live inputs. Later i want to transfer the MD8 recording to the PC to be able to edit, mix and overdub, if required. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of setup? Would be great to hear form you guys!

Regards

Chris

I have an MD8 that I bought a couple of months ago.
After I looked around at all of the recorders out on the market under about 800.00 were all only 2 track simutaneous recording, which for recording live is almost useless, if you want to mix down and add parts later, I found the MD8.
The only problem mine has is that the right channel seems to be bad. If the pan control is set in the center it sounds ok, but if you turn it to the right it is like dust is in the pot and crackles on all of the channels.
After I have played with it a few times and have recorded my band I`m going to take it in to have it thoroughly cleaned.

Md4

I still have my MD4 that I bought back in '97. In fact, I took it with me to Iraq during my last deployment (just got back in Dec). I like it cause it's small, easy to set up and break down and doesn't take a rocket surgeon to use it. I usually use it like a note pad for ideas, then go back and record on my Tascam 2488 or my computer.
The only problem I have ever had with it is, it sometimes sticks when initially reading a disc (I have beat it a little here and there over the years out of frustration). But I don't think I will ever get rid of it.

New Tascam MD recorder

What about this?
http://www.tascam.com/products/md-350.html

It's a little expensive (around $489 US at some of the mail order places), but looks really solid and has a nice array of ins and outs (digital, XLR, and RCA). Would this be an unwise investment? It appears to be the only commercially available MD recorder remaining.

I still use the Sony MDS-JE520 consumer component-type recorder in my project studio (mostly for mixes of the Tascam 424 MkIII) and the Sony MZ-R37 Walkman recorder for remote 2-track recording of rehearsals.

I still like the MD format because of ease of editing. I can't tell the difference in sound between MD, DAT and CD recorder.

The Tascam MD-350

The Tascam MD-350 is still available, I think as NOS, but it seems like a pretty elaborate MD recorder, with lots of "pro" features which may be a bit of overkill for the home stereo,... but a bit more relevant to the "home studio".

Of course, it was originally aimed at the pro market, and as such is loaded with features and is priced accordingly. I think if you have the scratch, it might be a nice addition to the stable.

I don't think a lot of MD-350's were actually sold in the market. MD had a frighteningly narrow window of marketability, but I believe in it as a decent recording medium for those who dare!:eek:;)

Tascam MD 350

OK, I ordered the unit today. One of the mail order joints had a "July Sale" which got the price down by $65. It's back ordered, so my educated guess would be that these things are still selling, even if it's at a small number. I scored some blank MDs for $1.50 each incl. shipping, which to the best of my knowledge is lower than what I paid like 3 years ago when I stocked up. We'll see how it goes! I'll post a follow up once it comes and I've been able to work with the machine a bit.

Saludos,
Michael

MD's for samples

I've used MD's a lot for gathering snippets of stuff for samples (effects, single drum hits, etc...) They sound quality is great for this type of thing, and the onboard editing is great.

I almost bought a Yamaha MD8 but the lack of a good source for MD Data discs turned me off. They should have implemented a format function on the MD multitrackers from jump street and it might have been more popular. I know I'm not the only one turned off by paying $20+ for a single Data MD that is just a $3 MD formatted at the factory...$20 for 20 minutes of recording time would get old quick.:(

I've used MD's a lot for gathering snippets of stuff for samples (effects, single drum hits, etc...) They sound quality is great for this type of thing, and the onboard editing is great.

I almost bought a Yamaha MD8 but the lack of a good source for MD Data discs turned me off. They should have implemented a format function on the MD multitrackers from jump street and it might have been more popular. I know I'm not the only one turned off by paying $20+ for a single Data MD that is just a $3 MD formatted at the factory...$20 for 20 minutes of recording time would get old quick.:(

Just think about people spending $50 to about $250 per reel and getting a little over 20 minutes out of them.:eek: I almost jumped on the MD portastudio when one showed up on CL, but the discs are just outrageously priced. I'll just stick to my MDS-J530 and MZ-R37.

Just think about people spending $50 to about $250 per reel and getting a little over 20 minutes out of them.:eek: I almost jumped on the MD portastudio when one showed up on CL, but the discs are just outrageously priced. I'll just stick to my MDS-J530 and MZ-R37.

I've alway equated the MDD140 discs @ $10-$15/each to be roughly equivalent to buying a 7" reel of 1/4" tape. Not too pricey or painful. I've bought several, both new and used. I've not searched new discs lately, so I don't know if they're available, but I think so. Used discs are good at a price break and work fine if they're not damaged. I've not had any problems, but admittedly I've not indulged much in MD multitracking. To me it's just another format. BTW, the MD multitrackers have features and capabilities that I consider better than many more modern digital multitrackers.

I have the Yamaha MD8 and Tascam 564.:eek:;)

PS: There are new TDK MDD140's still available at Musicians Friend for $14.99. I've seen sale prices as low as $9.99/ea.

Attachments

• 1-TDK MDD140.jpg
    1-TDK MDD140.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
What Id really admired is the layout of the MD8...they should make all the portastudios with the same control...cept using flash for memory to enable the unit to be made smaller...and less moving parts...much like the new Zoom recorder...that would also make them swapable with the ability to render tracks right into protools so you can colaberate with others from across the world.

Back