Rami mix

Pretty cool. Just so anyone doing mixes in the future doesn't get insulted, I can't see myself having the time and energy to listen to every mix. I'm already sick of the song as it is. :eek: But, it doesn't matter, because this isn't about me "judging" mixes, etc....

The mixes I did listen to so far sound pretty cool.

Off the top of my head:

PrHun's less smashed version sounds cool, but I think the bass is too low.

Cheers Rami! It was a really fun track to mix with a great tune and riffs. Very nicely tracked (apart from the clipped snare :D).

I confess that my "smashed" take was a bit tongue in cheek, coming after the DrumRookie "tunnel mix" :o

Thanks for sharing your work!

Paul

I'm here, I'm here!

I'm home for the weekend. Took a quick listen. Steen was right! It sounds very BSSM to me. I'd really like to take a crack at this. Be back tonight or tomorrow morning maybe...

Rami,

How did you mic the OH drums?

Paul
I use a hybrid of Recorderman and Glyn Johns. One mic pointing straight down at the snare, the other mic about a foot to the left of my left shoulder (probably a foot to the right of your right shoulder, since I'm a lefty). Both mics equal distance from the snare. I use a pair of AKG C1000s.

Done! Well... Didn't account for threshold shifting.... OH WELL! :D

I tried to get a BSSM sound because that's what this song reminded me of. I failed. :(

I still like it though and it was a pleasure to mix.

Done! Well... Didn't account for threshold shifting.... OH WELL! :D

I tried to get a BSSM sound because that's what this song reminded me of. I failed. :(

I still like it though and it was a pleasure to mix.

I could see what you were going for. Maybe a less dark reverb since it's pretty bass heavy?

There's something weird going on with the timing in your version. I can't explain it. Sounds like the vocals are off with the drums....or something. Maybe the tacks weren't all lined up from the beginning of the song?

See, I was thinking the same thing. I dismissed it thinking it was the result of over listening. I'll get back to it.

I reamped all the guitars. I also reamped the bass. There's just one spot where it sounds weird and it just happens that it unfortunately had to fall in the space where the bass was solo in the beginning. I like the sound in the rest.

Yeah, I might change the reverb as well.

Thanks for listening!

See, I was thinking the same thing. I dismissed it thinking it was the result of over listening. I'll get back to it.

I reamped all the guitars. I also reamped the bass. There's just one spot where it sounds weird and it just happens that it unfortunately had to fall in the space where the bass was solo in the beginning. I like the sound in the rest.

Yeah, I might change the reverb as well.

Thanks for listening!
I like what you did with the guitars, they sound great. So does the bass, but maybe a little too bass-y? I don't know, I like deep bass, so I'm not complaining. :D Thanx for taking the time to play with this and post. :cool:

I found the problem with the vocals.

I usually run the main vocals through outboard gear. I usually record the track when I have it to my liking. I didn't account for the latency. It's a little over half a second ahead of everything.... :facepalm:

Well this mix has taught me to always remember to turn it back. Thanks for pointing it out RAMI!

Never really mixed much other than various forms of (mostly extreme) metal before. I've added my 2 cents with not so much confidence. Tear it up.

Now I just realized I had 'mono downmix' box checked from a previous file export. So my RAMI mix was mono. How embarrassing. Someone really needs to neg rep me.

Here is my stereo mix:

Attachments

• Say No More Jimmy Mix1.mp3
    7.6 MB · Views: 8
I did it before and I'll do it again. MUAHAHAHA!

I'll listen to yall's mix later.

EDIT: You must spread some reputation around before giving it to jimmy69 again. :mad:

Ha! Pretty cool. You both got good separation, Murders and Jimmy.

Hey Jimmy, what did you do to guitars 3 and 4? Are you using a delay panned, or did you copy and clone them? They're both coming out of the left and right, no?

Just personal opinion, but I find a song like this could use a shorter reverb than what's on most of the mixes. The song has a sort of choppy rythm and little stops here and there. The long reverbs seem to over lap things, for lack of a better term. Again, I'm basing everything I'm saying on preference and the fact that I've heard my version 1000 times, so anything different would take me a while to get used to.

Woah! Different tones on Murders' mix.

In my preference, I like the PHAT bass sound, but d00d... I love the sound of your kick! Just the right tone I like.

Sounds good too Jimmy! I like what you did to the main vocals.

Hey Jimmy, what did you do to guitars 3 and 4? Are you using a delay panned, or did you copy and clone them? They're both coming out of the left and right, no?

Yep, I used that thing that so many complain about. lol. I only used 10ms track delay on a duplicate track for each. I would normally turn the duplicate (delayed track) way down in the mix, if I use the Hass effect, but was curious to see if anyone would notice. Your good ear has now. :) Props to your ear RAMI!

Kick and snare both have a layer of SS Trigger enhancement. Cuz I'm one of those guys too. lol

@ Crow: I used a combination of delay as well as a basic doubler on the vocals to give it some shizzow. Whatever the hell that means. lol.

Woah! Different tones on Murders' mix.

In my preference, I like the PHAT bass sound, but d00d... I love the sound of your kick! Just the right tone I like.

Sounds good too Jimmy! I like what you did to the main vocals.

Agreed, love Murders kick drum too!

Back